HOW Belkyra® WORKS
The active ingredient in Belkyra® is synthetic deoxycholic acid. Deoxycholic acid is a naturally occurring molecule in the body that aids in the breakdown and absorption of dietary fat. When injected into the fat beneath the chin, Belkyra® destroys fat cells, resulting in a noticeable reduction in fullness under the chin. Once destroyed, these cells can no longer store or accumulate fat, so further treatment is not expected once you reach your desired aesthetic goal.
HOW IS Belkyra® ADMINISTERED?Treatment can only be administered by a Belkyra®-trained healthcare specialist. At each treatment, you will receive multiple small injections under your chin, and the injection process takes about 15 to 20 minutes. The exact number of injections will depend on the amount of fat you have under your chin and your desired profile.
HOW MANY Belkyra®TREATMENT SESSIONS WILL I NEED?
What is Belkyra®? Belkyra® is a prescription medicine used in adults to improve the appearance and profile of moderate to severe fat below the chin (submental fat), also called
It is not known if Belkyra® is safe and effective for the treatment of fat outside of the submental area or in children under 18 years of age.
Who should not receive Belkyra®? Do not receive Belkyra® if you have an infection in the treatment area.
Before receiving Belkyra®, tell your healthcare provider about all of your medical conditions, including if you: Have had or plan to have surgery on your face, neck, or chin; have had cosmetic treatments on your face, neck, or chin; have had or have medical conditions in or near the neck area; have had or have trouble swallowing; have bleeding problems; are pregnant or plan to become pregnant (it is not known if Belkyra® will harm your unborn baby); are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed (it is not known if Belkyra® passes into your breast milk).
Tell your healthcare provider about all the medicines you take, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements. Especially tell your healthcare provider if you take a medicine that prevents the clotting of your blood (antiplatelet or anticoagulant medicine).
What are the possible side effects of Belkyra®? Belkyra® can cause serious side effects, including
- Nerve injury in the jaw (which can cause an uneven smile or facial muscle weakness)
- Trouble swallowing
- Injection site problems including: bruising, hair loss, open sores (ulcers), damage and tissue cell-death (necrosis) around the injection site. Call your healthcare provider if you develop open sores or drainage from the treatment area
The most common side effects of Belkyra® include swelling, pain, numbness, redness, and areas of hardness in the treatment area. These are not all of the possible side effects of Belkyra®. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
WHAT SHOULD I TELL MY DOCTOR BEFORE TREATMENT?Before receiving Belkyra®, tell your healthcare provider about all of your medical conditions, including if you:
- Have had or plan to have surgery on your face, neck, or chin
- Have had cosmetic treatments on your face, neck, or chin
- Have had or have medical conditions in or near the neck area
- Have had or have trouble swallowing
- Have bleeding problems
- Are pregnant or plan to become pregnant (it is not known if Belkyra® will harm your unborn baby)
- Are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed (it is not known if Belkyra® passes into your breast milk; talk to your healthcare provider about the best way to feed your baby if you receive Belkyra®)
- Are taking any medications, especially blood thinners
Reduce the appearance of fat under the chin without the need for surgical treatments.